PACU Nurse PRN
Company: Lone Peak Surgery Center
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Do you have the career opportunities as a PACU Nurse PRN you
want in your current role? We invest in what matters most to nurses
like you at home, at work, and at every stage in your career. We
have an exciting opportunity for you to join Lone Peak Surgery
Center which is a part of the nations leading provider of
healthcare services, HCA Healthcare.
Do you want to work where you have a voice? Nurses are at the
forefront of our commitment to the care and improvement of human
life. At HCA Healthcare, there are many ways for nurses to have a
voice through professional practice councils, advisory councils,
vital voices surveys, and units of distinction. We learn from our
multi-generational nursing family. We partner with our Nurses at
Lone Peak Surgery Center!
Job Summary and Qualifications
Contributes to the companys mission and vision byutilizing the
nursing process in planning, executing, and evaluating the nursing
care rendered preoperative and postoperative until patient is
dismissed from the facility. Nursing care meets the standards of
the profession, the policies and procedures of the Center, and is
appropriate to the Centers patient population to identify patient
and family needs.
OPERATIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Demonstrates necessary practical, technical or specialized
knowledge and skills required for the role of the peri-operative
nurse in accordance with patient care and regulatory standards of
- Prepares patient care area adequately before case and ensures
availability of necessary equipment and supplies.
- Greets patient and family in a timely manner and keeps them
informed of any delays/changes.
- Verifies two patient identifiers utilizing the armband prior to
- Conducts complete patient assessment and evaluation of each
patient prior to surgery or treatment, which includes review of
patient history and diagnostic tests, physical, and psychological
- Assess patients understanding of procedure and checks surgical
consent for accuracy and completeness. Obtains and witnesses
patients signature if needed.
- Consistently reviews charts for completeness, in accordance
with clinical protocols, prior to surgery (i.e. consents, H/P,
diagnostic studies, assessments, home medications list, etc.)
- Ensures that H/P is a complete full examination of all body
systems and dated within 30-days prior to procedure.
- Ensures that H/P, orders for the procedure, and consent form
are consistent prior to placing in medical chart.
- Verifies surgical site verbally with patient per policy.
- Participates in the anesthesia time-out process if performed in
the pre-op area prior to administration of pre-operative blocks or
prior to the induction of anesthesia.
- Initiates intravenous therapy as prescribed, utilizing aseptic
technique utilizing appropriate IV start kit, catheter and fluid.
Ensures that medication is labeled appropriately.
- Receives and acknowledges preoperative physicians orders and
implements accordingly. Utilizing appropriate documentation for
- Administers pre-operative medications as prescribed and
utilizes safety medication practices (i.e. aseptic preparation,
labeling medications, identifying high alert and independent check
medications, 7 medication rights, narcotic waste, etc.). Monitors
patient until transferred to OR.
- Monitors patient if IV sedation given in pre-op setting to
assure patient maintains airway and vital signs are stable.
Administers oxygen and provides continuous monitoring and support
- Demonstrates knowledge/understanding of pain blocks and is
readily available to assist anesthesia as needed.
- Prepares patient care area adequately and ensures availability
of necessary equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrates proper airway management techniques (oral airway,
extubation, pulse oximetry monitoring, O2 administration,
- Understand principals of hemodynamic monitoring and monitors
patient according to policy (vital signs, temperature, cardiac,
- Recognizes signs and symptoms of patients condition that
indicate potential post procedure or anesthesia related
complications and report to anesthesiologist immediately.
- Monitors and maintains proper intravenous intake and
- Exhibits proper technique for insertion, maintenance, and
removal of IV catheters and saline locks.
- Performs head to toe assessment of patient and evaluates
patient utilizing approved scoring system upon admission and as
indicated by policy.
- Documents patient assessment upon admission.
- Checks dressings and/or operative site and reports
abnormalities to the surgeon.
- Provides a safe and comforting environment for patient and
family while restraining patient for safety reasons, as needed and
in accordance with facility policy.
- Prepares and administers medications in accordance with current
practice (i.e. antibiotics, narcotics, preparing/labeling
medications, identifying high alert medications, utilizing 7
patient rights for medication administration and appropriate
handling of narcotic waste).
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of medications utilized
intra and poster operatively and recognizes the need for use of
reversal drugs, when necessary.
- Recognizes emergency situations and responds effectively in a
calm and controlled manner.
- Assures that patient meets all discharge criteria.
- Patient is evaluated by a physician/anesthesia provider prior
- Written discharge order is received from the attending
physician prior to patient discharge.
- Patient is discharged home with a responsible adult, unless
otherwise approved by physician.
- Confirms that patient and family receives and verbalizes
understanding of written discharge instructions.
- Documents all appropriate patient information in accordance
with charting guidelines.
- Conducts patient post procedure calls. Documents and reports to
patients physician any abnormalities communicated by patient/family
member during the follow up call.
- Takes responsibility for careful and accurate handling and/or
logging of narcotics.
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients and
stretchers to prevent injury to patient and self.
- Complies with principles of hand hygiene, aseptic and sterile
- Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance and cleanliness
of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary environment for
the provision of patient care.
- Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous
- Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily
- Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments
based on the policies that are supportive of the Centers goals and
- Functions independently according to job responsibilities and
within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
- Takes personal initiative to maintain current RN licensure,
BCLS, ACLS, and PALS (if indicated) and other professional
certifications current as defined by job role.
- Uses facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful
- Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings and
participates in emergency drills.
- Participates in the orientation of new employees.
- Completes annual competency and other required education as
- Maintains confidentiality and security of records and patient
information at all times.
- Practices and adheres to the Code of Conduct philosophy and
Mission and Value Statement.
- While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the
current Position, it is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working
conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right
to revise the Position or require that other or different tasks be
performed when circumstances warrant (i.e. emergencies, changes in
personnel or staffing, workload, rush jobs, or technical
- The patient care requirements may include those of pediatric,
child and adolescent when such patient populations are served, as
well as adult and geriatric.
What qualifications you will need:
- Graduate from an accredited school of professional
- Minimum 2 years experience in a PACU or ICU setting; preferably
in an ambulatory surgery center.
- Additional specialty experience may be required as per facility
practices(i.e. Pediatric, GI, etc)
- Active RN license as required by state of employment
orappropriate compact licensure.
- Required valid BCLS Certification upon employment. ***online
certification not acceptable.
- ACLS required.
- PALS as required by facility.
Lone Peak Surgery
Centeris located in Draper, Utah. We serve the
residents of Salt Lake County. Our AAAHC accredited center is one
of the newest in the area. We perform over 300 cases a month.
Services in dental, ENT, gastro-intestinal, colonoscopy,
gynecology, interstim, orthopedic, lap bands, minimally invasive
spine, plastics, podiatry, sports/spine, urology and weight loss
balloon procedures. As a member of the HCA Healthcare Ambulatory
Surgery Division, we follow our mission. Above all else, we are
committed to the care and improvement of human life.
HCA Healthcare has been named one of the World's Most Ethical
Companies by Ethisphere Institute for over a decade. In recent
years, HCA Healthcare spent an estimated $3.7 billion in cost for
the delivery of charitable care, uninsured discounts, and other
"Bricks and mortar do not make a hospital. People do."-
Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr.
HCA Healthcare Co-Founder
If this opportunity is your next step in your career path, we
encourage you to apply for our PACU Nurse PRN opening. We review
all applications. Qualified candidates will be contacted by a
member of our team.We are interviewing apply
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity
at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race,
religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age,
marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
HCA Healthcare is a collaborative healthcare network, driven by
physicians, nurses and colleagues helping each other champion the
practice of medicine to give people a healthier tomorrow. With a
comprehensive network of more than 270,000 people across
approximately 1,800 care facilities, our scale enables us to
deliver great outcomes for our patients, provide superior nursing
care and be a preferred place for physicians to practice medicine.
We never stop in our pursuit of insights and care advances based on
the knowledge and data we gain from approximately 30 million
patient encounters a year. Every day, we raise the bar to improve
the way healthcare is delivered, not just in our facilities, but
everywhere. Were committed to improving more lives in more ways,
and above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of
Keywords: Lone Peak Surgery Center, Draper , PACU Nurse PRN, Other , Draper, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!